Peace Bonds

What is a peace bond?

A peace bond is a protection order made by a court under Sec. 810 of the Criminal Code. It is used where an individual appears likely to commit a criminal offence, but there are no reasonable grounds to believe that an offence has actually been committed.

When would I use a peace bond?

An individual, or someone on their behalf, can apply for a peace bond if they have reasonable grounds to believe that someone will cause personal injury to them, their children, or their intimate partner (current or former spouse, common-law partner, or dating partner); that someone will damage their property; or that someone will commit an offence under Sec. 162.1 of the Criminal Code (i.e. if you reasonably fear that someone will publish, distribute, or sell an intimate image of you without your consent).

Peace Bond Application Form

Statement of Complaint

Assistance with Peace Bonds  

Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission – Where Nova Scotia Legal Aid (NSLA) offices have capacity, staff can assist people applying for peace bond orders. This assistance will be summary advice, such as explaining the steps required to bring an application and providing information about the court process. Applicants seeking summary advice can apply to Legal Aid for this service. The office will advise if it has capacity to help you.

Legal Information Society of Nova Scotia – Those seeking advice on peace bonds can reach out to the Legal Information Society of Nova Scotia (LISNS) online at, by email at or by telephone at 902-455-3135 or toll-free at l-800-665-9779

Halifax Regional Police – The Victim Services division of Halifax Regional Police offers a Peace Bond Navigator Program involving trained volunteers who can also attend court with applicants. For more information, call 902-490-5300.

Courts of Nova Scotia Website – If you do not have a lawyer and expect to represent yourself during the peace bond application process, the Courts offer helpful resources to explain the law and court procedures in a general way. Visit for more information. 

PLEASE NOTE: Court staff can give general information about how the court works and about court rules and procedures. Court staff cannot give legal advice. For legal advice contact a lawyer.