The information on this page is also available for printing as a three-panel brochure.


Set the printer to print on both sides of the paper, then fold into three panels.

Upon receiving a formal complaint the Chief Judge may:

1. dismiss the complaint if it is vexatious, frivolous, or questions the decision of the judge
2. resolve the complaint
3. refer the complaint to the Judicial Council for further investigation

If the complaint is referred by the Chief Judge to the Judicial Council ....

..... it may investigate the complaint, resolve the complaint, dismiss the complaint, or hold a hearing.

If the Council concludes that there was misconduct, it will determine appropriate disciplinary measures. If the Council decides there has been no judicial misconduct, the complaint will be dismissed. The complainant will receive a letter outlining the reasons for the dismissal.


The Judicial Council cannot:
• overturn or change the decision of a Judge
• grant appeals
• address demands for a new trial
• compensate individuals

The Judicial Council cannot investigate:
general complaints about the Courts or the Judiciary as a whole
• complaints about unnamed Judges
• complaints about Court employees or lawyers
• complaints about Judges appointed by the federal government

The complainant will always be advised of any decision made by the Judicial Council and decisions coming out of hearings of the Judicial Council are made public.

The Nova Scotia Judicial Council was established in 1980 to review complaints against provincially-appointed Judges referred to it by the Chief Judge of the Provincial and Family Courts. It has the authority to discipline or suspend a judge upon such terms and conditions as it deems appropriate. And it may recommend to Cabinet whether a judge should be removed further to the provisions of the Provincial Court Act.

The Council is made up of Judges, lawyers, and community members. The Chief Justice of Nova Scotia is its Chair.


How Do I Complain? ...

... about the conduct of a Provincial Court Judge or a Family Court Judge

Send your complaint in writing to:

Chief Judge of the Provincial & Family Courts
Halifax Provincial Court
5250 Spring Garden Road
Halifax, NS
B3J 1E7

... about the conduct of the Chief Judge or an
Associate Chief Judge of the Provincial
or Family Courts

Send your complaint in writing to:

Chief Justice of Nova Scotia
The Law Courts
1815 Upper Water Street
Halifax, NS
B3J 1S7

... about the conduct of Justices of the:
Nova Scotia Court of Appeal
Supreme Court of Nova Scotia
Supreme Court (Family Division)

These Judges are appointed federally. The Canadian Judicial Council deals with complaints against them.

For more information, CLICK HERE >>

What Must Be Included in the Written Complaint:

1. the name of the judge about whom you have a complaint
2. the date, time, and place of the Court hearing or circumstances from which your complaint arises
3. as much detail as possible about the conduct of the judge
4. a statement about why you think the judge’s conduct was wrong
5. your name and signature
6. an address and phone number where you can be reached

NOTE: please keep it short and to the point - do not include Court documents